Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 5 Update Everett, Washington

 Week 5 Update from Everett
 
Whidbey Island, John's Baptism, Speaking in Sacrament

So Monday we'd planned to go to Mukilteo and take the ferry over to Whidbey Island. We didn't really know what was over there, but we heard it was fun so we were excited to go. We had one of the young moms in our ward go with us, and she has 2 super cute twin girls. We were all excited to make a mom friend and have so much fun on the island. Not so. It was so awkward. We can't hold kids so she was trying to deal with 2 little toddlers and there was nothing we could do to help. And Sis Wikstrom and I party when it's just us, but for some reason, we get real awkward everywhere else. It's a problem. And there's not much on the island so it was kind of disappointing. Oh well. It was definitely an adventure!

We made a companionship goal to ask everyone for referrals so we prayed about it and were really determined to ask everyone. And they have been coming in like crazy! It's so cool how the Lord blesses you when you ask for help and set your mind to it!

Then Saturday was John's baptism! He was so excited and we got this super awesome text from him Friday night. "I've been reading all kinds of scriptures today. All day! And I can definitely say the things I'm exploring are "deep" and "profound." God really is wondrous. And merciful too. And I'm more grateful than ever that God brought me into this world and taught me goodness and filled me with light, that burns away the darkness of sin and sorrow. And tomorrow I'll be sealed as one of His own. What great love He has shown me. I'm in awe of Him. And I know that my every heart beat in this life is dedicated to obedience. And my eternal soul will always love Him; for His mercy, love, patience, wisdom, guidance, knowledge, glory, holiness, truthfulness, and long-suffering. I am at the same time full of shame at the way I've lived to this point. And full of hope for the future. Because I know now without a doubt, He has retrieved me from the darkest places a body and soul can be. I am grateful beyond words. And thank you sisters for being part of the story of my salvation. Take care. God bless your mission. And I guess I'll see you tomorrow." We love John so much and are so happy to see true conversion! This is what missionary work is all about!
 At the baptism, the two elders that taught him in Darrington before, got permission to come, so they spoke, and our ward mission leader baptized him. It was a good program, and afterward, John said how happy he was and how he felt like he was on top of the world.

Then the next day, I spoke in Sacrament! I was asked Monday night, so I've been working on it all week. The topic was "Blessings available to families through living the gospel of Jesus Christ." It was really neat getting to study the topic, especially when I'm so far away from my family. That's one thing my testimony has been strengthened in for sure. How much the gospel truly does bless families. You don't see a lot of solid families here and it's really sad. I am so thankful for my family and that I can be sealed to them forever.

John was also confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost! What a great day!

Sis Wik and I are still getting along great! We're seriously so much alike. Except she's 5 feet tall and a dancer and I'm not. She's been such a blessing and I love having her as my trainer/companion/example/friend.

There's so much work to be done in Everett and I'm so thankful that I get to be a part of it! They always say that there is one person who needs to hear the gospel from your mouth. I don't know if that's true. The Lord will provide a way for those who are really ready to receive it, whether it's from me or not. It's the opportunity that I've been given to play even a small role in these peoples' conversions that is what's so special. It's truly a blessing to be a missionary and have all these experiences.

I know this gospel is true and I'm so thankful for the blessing it's been in my life.

Sister Tennant
A View of Whidbey Island

On the ferry over

This is as close to water as I will ever get

Pizza for Lunch

In the Jungle

John's Baptism




Blackberries Everywhere

A view of the Mainland from the Island


No comments:

Post a Comment